Saturday, December 4, 2010

Rant of the Day

I've been vegan for almost 11 years.

I have never pushed my beliefs on anyone else, nor have I railed against Paleo, Warrior, or any other style of eating.

But, seriously, I am getting really sick of people who claim to be "experts" making broad, sweeping statements such as, "There's no such thing as a healthy vegan,"  "Whoever says veganism is healthy is obviously an idiot," and, my most recent favorite, "Anyone promoting veganism is most likely a fatass."

In 11 years, I have never been unhealthy (polar opposite, in fact, according to my doctors and bloodwork), and I'm relatively certain I'm neither an idiot nor a fatass.  I'm pretty sure there are others like me, such as Mike Mahler, Brendan Brazier, etc.  I'd like to think that, although I don't know everything, I'm relatively well-versed in nutrition, seeing as the study of it has taken up a lot of my time over the last, oh, two decades or so. Do I have to supplement?  Yep.  But I'd be willing to bet that just about anyone eating the food available to us today could benefit from some supplementation, themselves.

I don't eat meat because I don't believe in killing or contributing to the harm of animals inasmuch as I can avoid it.  I have managed to live a life that aligns with my moral code and keeps me in vibrant health.

If your beliefs don't align with mine, that's fine.  The fact of the matter is, my way is not the only way to keep healthy.  So, whatever diet you align with, that's just fine by me.  But don't make claims that veganism isn't viable.  It's an ignorant statement.

OK, done ranting now.  Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment