Friday, December 17, 2010

Question of the day

Eric asked:

We've all heard that green leafy veggies clean out the colon. However, recently I've been having fun pureeing everything with my Vitamix, Do you know if pureed green leafy veggies have the same effect in colon cleansing as chewed veggies?



I answered:  

It does if you're using the whole vegetable (as opposed to juicing it and throwing out the pulp). The fiber is generally in the pulp and skin of a fruit or vegetable, so extracting its parts isn't necessarily the best way to eat it. If you're just pureeing the vegetable and eating it whole that way, you should be getting all its fiber. Pureeing raw vegetables in a blender like a Vitamix or similar quality can actually help break down cell walls (as cooking or fermentation might) to make the nutrients more accessible to the body.





Hope this helps.  If you have any questions about fitness or nutrition, please send 'em my way, and I'll answer as best I can!  

No comments:

Post a Comment