Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Legs Day

One of my clients said to me today, "I heard that you're supposed to work your legs on one day and your chest and arms on another day." I responded, "Have you ever picked up something off the floor and put it on a shelf?"
She's got legs.  She knows how to use 'em.


In short, you use your legs and your arms in conjunction with each other every day. Why wouldn't you train your body as a unit?

You can also think of it this way: training the body as a unit means you use a lot more muscles with every exercise. That translates into more calories burned with every workout in much less time, and more universal and translatable strength gained. And who doesn't want all of those things?

So, no, I don't have a "legs day" or a "chest day." I work it all, every time, in ways that make sense to everyday movement, with fantastic results. In the end, you need to do what works for you, but I don't know anyone who doesn't use their whole body all day long. So why not train that way?

Questions? Comments? Post 'em here!

No comments:

Post a Comment