Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Alkaline Water: Really?

A lot of people I know have been extolling the benefits of "Alkaline Water" and how much better it is for you than other kinds of water. I was skeptical, especially considering how much these alkaline water companies charge for a bottle of the stuff, so I looked into studies proving the benefits of alkaline water. Know what I found?

Nothing.

Zero.

Zip.

Zilch.

There is, to my knowledge, absolutely no science to back up the claims of the alkaline water industry. There is, however, plenty of science to debunk it. This chemist explains the facts much better than I ever could: http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html

So there you have it, folks.

If you really love your alkaline water, by all means, keep buying it. It's not going to hurt you. But the science out there proves that you can save your money for more useful products.

Got a health claim you're curious about? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. What's your take on Penta water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penta is similar-- there is no scientific basis for their claims, and there are no published, peer-reviewed studies backing any of their claims. From a chemist's point of view, the claims they are making are scientifically impossible. (For instance: http://www.chem1.com/CQ/clusqk.html )

    Hope this helps...

    ReplyDelete